5 Common Areas for Termite Damage that Homeowners Overlook
Summer is the peak time for termite activity in Pittsburgh homes. It’s essential to identify an infestation as soon as possible in order to treat it. At Witt Pest Management, we always encourage homeowners to conduct regular inspections of their property to look for signs of termite activity. However, there are spots around your home and property that you may not think to check for termites.
Here are five of the most common areas for termite damage that homeowners overlook:
- Crawl spaces. Basements and attics are easy areas to check but don’t forget about crawl spaces. Any out-of-the-way area that is prone to moisture is attractive to termites.
- Subflooring. Termites live underground so they can get to areas of our homes that aren’t easily accessible to us. If you notice buckling of your floors or areas that look like they have water damage, you may have termites in your subflooring.
- Wooden Fencing. If you have a wood fence bordering your property, it could be home to termites. Termites anywhere on your property can soon make their way inside your home.
- Basement Window Frames. Termites usually live at ground level, so wooden basement window frames are ideal places for them to infest. Often decks and porches get built over small basement windows or shrubbery gets planted in front of them, so they are overlooked.
- Playhouses, swing sets, picnic tables, and more. If they are made of wood, all the leisure items on your property can be home to termites. Your child’s wooden treehouse, the porch rocker, the wooden window boxes you’ve had for years, and the wooden sandbox are all areas you should include in your inspection.
At Witt Pest Management, we can help you with a thorough home inspection. Our trained professionals have years of experience identifying termite damage and potential points of trouble. Don’t wait until you have extensive damage from termites that isn’t covered by your homeowner's insurance. Contact us to put a plan in place to protect your Pittsburgh-area home from the devastating effects a termite infestation can cause.