It can be extremely difficult to prevent bed bugs from getting into your Pittsburgh home. That is the sad reality. These insects are between 1 mm and 4.5 mm in length, they prefer to come out at night (or when it is dark), they leave subtle signs of their presence, they hitchhike into our homes, and the bites they leave on us are easily mistaken for the bites of other insects. But bed bug prevention isn't hopeless. There are a few things you can do to prevent a bed bug infestation.
Bed Bug Prevention Steps
- Be on the lookout for bed bug signs: Tiny white eggs, black streak or black speckles, shed insect skins, tan stains and, of course, the bed bugs themselves. You may also detect them by the pheromone scent they put off. This scent has been compared to the smell of a damp, locker room towel.
- Be aware that bed bugs don't just live in hotels and motels. They have been found infesting schools, daycares, assisted living centers, clothing stores, libraries, movie theaters, and a very long list of other places. They can also be found inside residences. When you visit a friend or spend the night, keep in mind that these insects can be present. Don't let your guard down.
- Always put laundry items in a sealed plastic bag. Bed bugs are highly attracted to items that have been worn.
- When you return from spending the night somewhere, wash all your clothing with hot water and dry them for at least 30 minutes.
- Teach others to detect bed bugs and the warning signs they leave.
Bed Bug Control
If you find bed bugs in your Pittsburgh home, it is important that you understand the many benefits of professional bed bug control, not the least of which is that DIY bed bug control often leads to chronic infestation and prolonged exposure. While there are a few things that might stop an infestation that hasn't taken root, such as throwing bed bug infested items in the dryer or applying rubbing alcohol to bed bug eggs, it is difficult to control them once they've taken root. Bed bugs have been living almost exclusively with humans since the dawn of recorded history. They're really good at it. It is best to have a licensed, pest professional deal with this pest problem appropriately.
At Witt Pest Management, we use the most advanced equipment, products and strategies to completely eliminate bed bugs in Pittsburgh homes and businesses. Reach out to us today for immediate assistance. We can help you solve your bed bug problem, the first time.