There are many conditions that can drive cockroaches into your Pittsburgh home. Cold weather is one of them. Cockroaches, like many other insects, cannot survive outside in the winter cold, so they seek a place to hide when temperatures drop. In nature, they'll hide in holes, caves, logs, and other natural locations that shield them from the freezing wind. In the urban landscape, they'll hide in a sewer, dumpster, or man-made structure. Here's what you need to know to stop those cockroaches in their tracks.
- Put stored foods that come in paper, cardboard, or thin plastic in thick, sealable plastic containers, even cat and dog food.
- Put dishes in soapy water when you're done eating, rather than in a stack next to your sink.
- Clean your floors, counters, and rugs frequently. Don't let any spills or food sit long.
- Fix any plumbing leaks, especially dripping faucets.
- Don't leave pet water bowls on the floor overnight.
- Put fruit in the fridge rather than on the kitchen counter or dining room table.
If you take these steps, you may make an invading cockroach look for another home to live in. But, usually, something more is needed.
Cockroach Control Products
There are many products that promise to get rid of cockroaches but often fall short. Cockroaches are built for survival. It is believed by some scientists that roaches will outlive every other creature on the planet if there is ever a global thermonuclear war. This is because they are highly resistant to radiation. They're also able to build a resistance to chemicals. This is bad news for a homeowner who wants to get rid of these disgusting pests with over-the-counter pest control products. If you're looking to stop cockroaches in their tracks, the best solution is to have an experienced and educated pest control professional take care of any invading cockroaches you have. A licensed professional not only uses EPA-approved products, but they also employ systematic pest control methods that make those products effective.
If cockroaches have gotten into your Pittsburgh home, let the team at Witt Pest Management help you eliminate them. When it comes to stopping cockroaches in their tracks, Witt is one of the best in the business. We're Pittsburgh's oldest and most advanced pest control company. Reach out to us today. We're here to help.