WHY DO SPIDERS COME INSIDE YOUR PITTSBURGH HOME IN THE FALL?
Spiders begin to move into homes in the fall more often as the weather gets cooler and they start looking for a warmer place to live out the winter months. There are few predators for spiders indoors, so the species has gotten quite used to living indoors. In the autumn months, many male spiders will start to find their way indoors in search of a female.
Spiders in your home really don’t cause any threats beyond being a nuisance. No one likes the feeling of walking through a spider web or seeing one scurry across the floor to hide under your bed! You might find spider webs in the corners of your rooms by the ceiling, in closets, in the basement, or in the bathroom.
Preventing Spiders From Getting Into Your Home
It’s not possible for home remedies to prevent 100% of spiders from entering your home, but you can take some measures to help reduce the number of spiders that take up residence inside your Pittsburgh home. Many are inexpensive and easy to apply, and all of the following are non-toxic and natural means of preventing spiders:
- Peppermint Oil – Spiders hate peppermint! Fill a spray bottle with water and a few drops of peppermint essential oil and spray around the inside of your home. Your home will smell great and the spiders won’t want to come in.
- White Vinegar – Fill a spray bottle with water and white vinegar and spray cracks and crevices around your home, and your basement. It’s a natural spider repellent.
- Seal Entrances – Caulk door openings and windowsills to fill in any spaces where a spider might enter your home.
- Get a Cat – Cats will attack and get rid of any spiders they see crawling across the floor.
- Cedar Mulch – Put cedar mulch outside your home all along the perimeter to prevent spiders from coming inside. You can add cedar shavings to closets, drawers, and cupboards to prevent them from hanging out in there, too.
Getting Rid of Spiders
Every home has spiders in it, although many go unnoticed. Regularly vacuuming your home, dusting, and keeping it as clean as possible is a good way to eliminate adult spiders, egg sacs, and webs from around your home – but it won’t prevent new ones from coming in.
To effectively get rid of spiders from your home, you will want to contact Witt for professional spider elimination in the Pittsburgh area. They can treat the exterior of your home to help prevent spiders from getting access to your house in the first place. The team will evaluate the problem and come up with a solution based on your unique needs. Treatments may include general surveillance, baiting programs, and exclusion services.