Tips to Deter Roaches from Your Home
Cockroaches are gross. When they get into a home, they can cause a wide range of problems, not the least of which is distress. No one should ever have to live with cockroaches. Hopefully, these tips will help you to deter cockroaches from getting into your Pittsburg home.
Why Cockroaches Come Into a Yard
If you want to deter cockroaches, you need to understand why they come into your yard. While a cockroach, or many cockroaches, can come into your yard for no reason at all, there are some conditions that attract them. The more attractants you have, the more cockroaches you're likely to have. The more cockroaches you have, the more chance those cockroaches are going to find a way into your home.
- Trash. Exposed trash is a strong attractant for roaches. You probably know this. But do you know that a dirty trash receptacle can be an attractant as well? It is important to routinely clean your trash receptacles if you want to reduce cockroaches in your yard.
- Moisture. Cockroaches prefer damp environments because dampness helps with decay and cockroaches are drawn to decay. That moisture also helps to keep their exoskeletons moisturized and healthy. When you reduce dampness in your yard, you reduce cockroaches.
- Shelter. When the sun is high in the sky on a sunny day, it can dry cockroaches out. This, and the fact that cockroaches hate the light, drive cockroaches to search for shelter. They may hide under an object that is being stored in your backyard. They may hide under a permanent structure that offers good shade a high humidity. One of their favorite places to hide is under gravel. While gravel looks nice and dry, it is anything but dry where the rocks touch the soil. So don't be surprised to find hundreds of cockroaches come up out of an area of gravel.
- Compost. There are many reasons to have a compost heap and, if you have one, we're sure you keep your compost smelling as fresh as possible. But, if you don't, you may be inviting cockroaches into your yard. Not only is a stinky compost unpleasant to the nose, it is attractive to cockroaches.
- Decay. If you have anything in your yard that is decaying, cockroaches will thank you for it. Cockroaches are drawn to decaying organic material.
- Dung. Do you have a pet or some livestock? If so, the droppings they leave in your yard can lure cockroaches in.
Why Cockroaches Come Into a Home
The tips for deterring cockroaches inside a home are a bit trickier. There really isn't anything you can do to exterminate cockroaches without the use of chemicals, and we strongly recommend that you don't use chemicals. Not only can chemicals be harmful when administered incorrectly, they can create pesticide resistant super roaches in your home. Cockroaches have the ability to develop an exoskeleton that is resistant to harmful chemicals found in their environment. Contact a licensed and experienced pest professional for cockroach extermination and exclusion. That being said, there are some things you can do to make your home less interesting to cockroaches that come inside and take a peek, and more importantly, make it harder for cockroaches to breed inside your home.
Sanitation. One of the keys to cockroach control is maintaining a clean environment. While cockroaches can live in a clean space, they definitely don't prefer to. They would much rather be in a damp, bacteria-laden environment.
Vacuum. Routine vacuuming of your rugs can pick up live cockroaches and the egg sacks left by cockroaches. When you're done, dispose of the bag or put the vacuum outside between vacuuming.
Dry things out. Since cockroaches love humidity, drying things out can have an impact. Put a dehumidifier in your basement, cellar, attic, or rooms that get moist. Repair any leaking or weeping pipes.
Cockroach Control in Pittsburg
If you're finding cockroaches in your Pittsburg home, contact the cockroach experts at Witt Pest Management. We don't just spray and pray. Our team of highly trained and experienced professionals use field-tested methods and trusted control products to locate and eliminate cockroaches. Once all your roaches are gone, we can also help you keep them out for good. Reach out to us today to request same day service and say goodbye to those roaches.