Be Aware Of Bed Bugs At The Movies
There sure are a lot of summer blockbuster movies out this year (Man of Steel, World War Z, and Monsters University to name a few) and if you’re like most of us, you’d probably like to catch one or two, if you get the chance. Catching a summer flick is a good way to relax and spend time with some friends, or just a good way to spend a Saturday night! But going to the movie theater may send you home with more than you bargained for, as bed bugs in Pittsburgh are a serious problem and have recently been spotted in several movie theaters in PA as well as across the country. You also can’t check a book out at the library without thinking about the possibility of bed bugs, which means that these pests can truly be anywhere. What can you do to protect yourself from bringing home bed bugs? Here are a few tips from your Pittsburgh pest control friends at Witt Pest Management to offer you a little bed bug prevention before enjoying your favorite summer activities.
Bed Bug Prevention Tips
- Keep an eye on your surroundings at all times with regards to bed bugs. Check for signs of bed bugs that include reddish-brown fecal spots and cast bed bug skins. Forgetting that bed bugs are in public places and letting your guard down for only a moment can cause these bloodsuckers to jump onto your clothing and travel home with you.
- Don’t set personal belongings like handbags on the floor of public places. Keep your belongings in your lap while sitting in movie theaters or reading at the library.
- If you’re going to the movies, don’t bring your handbag at all. Fit whatever you need (cash, credit cards, keys) into your pocket, and don’t chance picking up bed bugs in your belongings.
- At the library, inspect any books you’re interested in before checking them out. Look in the spines and around the edges; if you see signs of bed bugs (or their eggs!) leave this book at the library- you may also want to let the librarians know what you’ve found, so no one else is exposed to these pests.
- Bring a small LED flashlight with you wherever you go. You can use this to help you look for bed bugs and their eggs; a flashlight can be especially useful in dark movie theaters.
- Know what to look for. Understanding the signs of bed bugs and knowing their habits can help you avoid bringing bed bugs home with you.
Following all of these tips can help you to steer clear of bed bugs you find while out and about. But still, these tips aren’t foolproof. You could still have bed bugs climb onto your body while you enjoy the latest summer blockbuster at the cinema, so inspecting your body and your belongings upon returning home is a must. If you should find bed bugs or signs of them on yourself or your belongings, contact the Pittsburgh exterminators at Witt Pest Management. We can help you identify any infestation that you may have introduced into your home and we can formulate a bed bug control plan to help you eliminate it. Bed bugs are a big problem in Pittsburgh as well as throughout the US, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying what our great city has to offer. Just arm yourself with a small flashlight and some bed bug prevention tips and you can greatly reduce the chance of picking up bed bugs while out on the town.