HOW TO FIGHT TERMITES IN PITTSBURGH
This termite species builds its colony in the soil around your Pittsburgh home and creates tunneling up the side of your basement walls to protect themselves from the drying sun as they go in and out of your house, eating wood 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is a termite that costs property owners $5 billion each year and is able to total a home in under 5 years. Sound like something you want living inside your walls? No? Well, I have some good news. This is an insect you can keep out.
Though it can be almost impossible to detect subterranean termites without certified training, there are some things you can look for.
- Examine all exterior walls for mud tubes. Look in hard-to-get-at areas under your porch, behind bushes, under stairwells, etc.
- You can find mud tubes inside as well. Examine interior walls in areas that have moisture.
- Look for transparent wings on your sills, deck or walkways. When termites swarm, they leave these wings after mating.
- Look for wood damage inside and outside. Termite damage will look like someone took a wood tool and carved into the wood over and over.
Though it is not possible to fully prevent termites without a chemical barrier or strategic bait stations, there are some things you can do to make your home less of a target.
- Move all mulch or plant cover two feet away from your basement walls.
- Don't allow moisture or puddles near your basement walls. Make sure your gutters work. And that they are unobstructed.
- Don't leave moist leaves in your yard.
- Keep crawl spaces and interior rooms free of moisture.
When it comes to protecting a home from termites, it is vital to have the assistance of a professional pest control company. For the greater Pittsburgh area, Witt Pest Management is the right choice, because we don't use gallons of chemical solutions to protect your home. Our termite protection is cutting edge, effective, and safe for the environment. It is the only termite control product to ever receive the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award. When protecting your home from termites, this is the clear winner.