Is There A Bee Hive Under Your Deck? Uh-Oh!
This is the time of year that your deck is getting a lot of use- neighborhood gatherings, nightly grilling, gardening, and relaxing are just some of the perks of deck ownership. But, if you aren’t careful you may not be the only one using your deck. Many times stinging insects will choose to build their nest underneath a deck, and if you think about it, it is the perfect set-up- a dark, cool, secluded area to keep themselves and their nest safe.
And while an under the deck nest may be a good set-up for the bees or other stinging insects it is definitely not a good set-up for you and your family. Having a stinging insect nest under your deck puts you and your family in close proximity to these pests, and if they start to see you as a threat to them or their nest they may try to defend themselves with a painful sting, ouch!
At Witt Pest Management we want to help you deter bees, wasps, and hornets from your property and home so that you can enjoy the beautiful summer weather on your deck without worrying about any unwanted stinging insects pestering you, your family, and friends. Some quick and easy things that you can do around your property to deter stinging insects include:
- Limit the amount of colorful and flowering plants that you have planted around your deck and home.
- Keep tight fitting lids on trash cans as stinging insects can be attracted to the rotting food that is found inside.
- Reduce areas of standing water on your property, make sure that gutters are working properly draining water away from your home and fix those leaky fixtures.
- Do not leave cups with soda or other sweet liquids, or food out on your deck for long periods of time.
- Be sure to seal any cracks in your home’s foundation and caulk gaps around windows and doors to prevent any wandering stinging insects from entering into your home.
But, what do you do, if despite your best efforts a stinging insect decides to make their home under your deck? Well, before we tell you what to do, we are going to tell you what not to do- do not try to remove the nest yourself. Stinging insects don’t take kindly to their nest being messed with and will defend themselves by stinging the perceived threat-you. Also, hornet and bee sprays, if not used correctly can be very dangerous for you, your family, and pets.
The best way to handle a stinging insect nest on your property is to contact a professional pest control expert and implement a year-round pest control program. The experts at Witt are ready to help you eliminate stinging insects from your deck or other areas of your property. Our technicians have the training, experience and tools necessary to get the job done quickly and safely.
Our TopCare home pest control services provide our customers with year-round services to control stinging insects and 40+ other common household insects from taking over your property and home. With Witt by your side you won’t have to spend time worrying about pests, instead you can use your extra time to plan your next deck party!