WAITER! THERE'S A FLY IN MY SOUP!
Flies may be tiny creatures, but it is astonishing how much damage they can cause to a business.
The common house fly does not just buzz around and drive people crazy; they are known to carry all sorts of diseases. They spit saliva on food sources to liquefy solid food before feeding on it, and that saliva can carry more than 100 dangerous pathogens including escherichia, shigella, and salmonella. A few of the diseases they can transmit are typhoid, cholera, anthrax, and tuberculosis. And like this isn't bad enough, they have also been known to transmit the eggs of parasitic worms.
Diseases aside, flies are a major nuisance and can completely ruin a business. Flies breed at an alarming rate. Just one little house fly can lay 600 eggs in a lifetime, and it only takes those eggs 10 short days to mature into adults! If you own a business, especially a food service business, flies can ruin the reputation of that business in no time. No one is going to return to a business overrun by flies, and the presence of too many flies can contribute to a failed health inspection. Some types of flies that are commonly checked for during an inspection include, house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies, and flesh flies. Other flies that may lead to failed inspections include fruit flies, drain flies, and phorid flies.
What can be done to prevent a fly infestation?
While having just a couple of flies flitting around your business may seem harmless, keep in mind how quickly they can multiply. It is better to take care of the problem quickly. Consider the following fly prevention tips.
- Carefully inspect all your door and window screens for rips or punctures and replace any damaged screens found.
- Install fans to discourage fly activity in specific areas.
- Be vigilant to remove or clean items that attract flies such as rotting food, dirty drains, or food spills under or between appliances. Remove all trash on a regular basis, thoroughly clean sinks, and never leave food out longer than needed.
- Keep all kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas sanitized and clean. Immediately clean up spills and pay close attention to hard to reach spaces. Not only are flies attracted to the food particle built up in hard to reach places, this decomposing food stuff will also attract cockroaches and other pests that can shut a business down by causing a failed inspection.
- For night time, consider installing sodium vapor lighting to attract fewer insects.
- Contact a professional pest control company!
At Witt Pest Management, we don't fool around with flies, or any other business damaging pest for that matter. By getting year-round pest control from Witt, you can focus on your business and not waste another moment worrying about flies. Flies and other pests are no joke. Let Witt Pest Management help today.