WHY DO MY WINTER CLOTHES HAVE HOLES?
This is the time of year to get winter clothing out of storage. It can be extremely frustrating to find a scarf, sweater, hat, or mittens with holes in them, not only frustrating, but a little bit perplexing. When clothes moths attack stored items, it can seem like magic. You'll find holes on items that no moth could have ever gotten to. Don't worry. You're not losing your mind, and it isn't magic.
Here are a few clues to help you determine whether or not those holes were made by the common clothes moth:
- If you've ever seen moths fluttering around in your closets or storage areas, those holes could be the work of clothes moths.
- If the holes in your clothes look like they were chewed, they could have been made by clothes moths.
- If you look closely at the damage and see a tiny pale worm nibbling on the fabric--yup, it's clothes moths.
The reason moth damage can be so mysterious is that adult clothes moths don't eat fabrics, their offspring do. So, when you find a damaged winter hat that was deep in a box full of hats, scarves, and mittens, you don't have to wonder if you're going crazy. That damage wasn't caused by moths. It was caused by caterpillars.
Winter Clothing Protection
- Before you store winter clothing, make sure you wash those items. Clothes moth larvae are most attracted to fibers that have decaying skin and the odor of sweat on them.
- Dry clean wool items and other winter items that have natural fabrics.
- Consider storing winter items in a sealable plastic tote.
Clothing Moth Pest Control
Eradicating a clothing moth infestation can be time-consuming, frustrating, and ineffective without an understanding of the biology and behaviors of these invading insects. If you're finding damage done by clothing moths, reach out to a professional pest control company for assistance. When these pests are not properly treated, they can do damage to more than just the clothing in your home.
If you live in Pittsburgh or our Pennsylvania service area, let the pest specialists here at Witt Pest Management take care of those clothes moths. We are Pittsburgh's oldest, and most advanced pest control company. With over a hundred years of experience and the latest certifications from the National Pest Management Association, you can trust the team here at Witt to deal with your pest problem quickly and professionally.