Overview of the Crazy Ant in Pittsburgh and PA
Crazy ants are an invasive species of ant that were named because of their frantic, zigzag movements and erratic behavior. They are an agricultural and household pest; and because of their ability to thrive indoors, they can be found living in virtually any climate.
- Adults grow to be between 1/6th and 1/8th of an inch in length.
- They are dark brown to black.
- Crazy ants have elongated 12-segmented antennas that lack a club.
- Crazy ants have extremely long, distinctive-looking legs.
Habits of Crazy Ants
Workers are omnivorous and have a very varied diet; they can be found feeding on live and dead insects, seeds, honeydew, fruits, plant liquids, and grease. As you can imagine, crazy ants are often found infesting homes, restaurants, convenience stores, hospitals, and like places. These ants have the ability to forage for food long distances away from their nesting sites, making them difficult to control.
Crazy ants cannot survive in extremely cold conditions and will move inside homes and other buildings when the weather outside is cold. Crazy ants may also accidentally be introduced inside through packages and shipments that are infested. Crazy ant colonies are relatively small in number, usually having only 1,500 to 2,500 members.
Threats Posed By Crazy Ants
Crazy ants can be dangerous to people, pets, and property. These ants don’t have stingers, but if they are disturbed or threatened they won’t hesitate to bite. Crazy ants are attracted to electrical equipment and often damage machinery, AC units, and heating units; they will also contaminate food sources inside homes and businesses.
PA Prevention of Crazy Ants
Preventing crazy ants from entering your home can be a very difficult task, but the following tips can help to stop these pests:
- Seal cracks and crevices in your home’s foundation.
- Install door sweeps under all exterior doors.
- Caulk spaces around windows, doors, and air-conditioning units.
- Trim trees and bushes away from the exterior of your home.
- Place gardens a distance away from the exterior of your home.
- Make sure that garbage being store outside is always placed in containers with tight-fitting lids until trash pick-up day.
- Inspect packages and boxes for crazy ants before bringing them into your home.
- Quickly clean-up spills and crumbs in kitchen and pantry areas; store food in the refrigerator or in sealed containers, not out in the open on counters.
Control of Crazy Ants
The best way to control crazy ants is to partner with an experienced pest management professional. At Witt Pest Management, we can thoroughly evaluate your property to create a custom-tailored solution. Our Pittsburgh pest control technicians can successfully resolve crazy ant infestations utilizing a variety of treatment options that may include:
- A detailed inspection of the exterior of your property.
- A detailed inspection of the interior of your property.
- The sealing of any identified openings with caulk or other suitable materials.
- The treatment of cracks and crevices with a residual material for added prevention. We will also discuss with you any conditions that need to be repaired and offer any other recommendations necessary.
Contact Witt Pest Management to learn more about our commercial pest control services for crazy ants or to find out how our residential pest control services will protect your home from these invasive pests.