HOW TO PREPARE FOR GERMAN COCKROACH TREATMENT
Adult German cockroaches grow to be around 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch in length. They are tan to light brown in color and, although they have fully developed wings, they cannot fly. They can best be identified by their small size and by 2 dark parallel lines that run from the back of the head to the wings. These pests are typically found in kitchens, near dishwashers, stoves, and sinks because they prefer a moist environment with a relatively high degree of warmth. Some problems these disease-carrying insects present include tainting food preparation surfaces with bacteria, food contamination, the spreading of allergens, the possibility of being bitten, and multiple frustrations in general.
PRIOR TO TREATMENT FOR GERMAN COCKROACHES
- Do not use any other means of cockroach control (such as bug bombs, aerosols, etc) before or after treatment, as this can hamper the success of the treatment.
- Remove all items from cabinets and underneath sinks, items such as silverware, dishes, pots and pans, open food, etc. These items may be placed in bags or boxes and need to be removed from the kitchen area to provide a better workspace for the technician.
- Small appliances such as toasters, microwaves, and coffee makers should be left on the counter. These items will be inspected and treated if necessary.
- In bathrooms, put away all toothbrushes, water glasses, and personal items and remove items from underneath the sink unit. Place these items in plastic bags or boxes.
- If you have roaches in other rooms besides the kitchen or bathroom, move any items away from baseboards.
- Make sure all children and pet toys are put away. Place all pet food and water dishes inside plastic dishes and remove them from areas that will be treated.
AFTER COCKROACH TREATMENT IS COMPLETE
- Clean all countertops, tables, and food preparation surfaces thoroughly.
- Be patient. The process can take from 3 weeks to 2 months to eliminate all roaches, due to the biology of the cockroach.
TO AVOID FUTURE INFESTATIONS
- Work to reduce clutter in your home.
- Always store foods (including pet foods) in sealed containers or inside sealed areas such as the refrigerator or freezer. (NEVER store food on the floor!)
- Reduce or remove any available food sources which your technician will identify for you.
- Keep all sinks and drains clean and sanitized, as cockroaches will find food in these places.
- Keep all plumbing in good repair.
- Be sure to keep things clean. All appliances including stoves, grills, refrigerators, tables, sinks, etc., should be cleaned and well maintained on a regular basis.
- All food contact surfaces need to be washed, rinsed, and sanitized on a regular basis.
- Pots, pans, dishes, glasses, utensils, etc., need to be properly cleaned and sanitized, and stored in a clean container after each use.
- Keep floors clean and sanitized and in good repair. Make sure no tiles are coming up or are broken.
- Clean and maintain walls and ceilings and make sure they are in good repair.
- Keep all bathrooms clean and in good repair.
- Make sure that all of your garbage containers are leak-proof and covered. Empty these containers often.
- Cooperate with the technician on any special recommendations to help remove any pest harborage and prevent conditions conducive to further infestation.
REMEMBER: THE SUCCESS OF THIS SERVICE DEPENDS UPON YOUR COOPERATION!